Friday, September 17, 2010

kids lunches- it's a wrap!


Mom's everywhere pack lunch for their kids and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that it is not an easy task. Having said that, there are a few things one can do to make life easier.
I always have a few staples that make lunch time more interesting:
a variety of fruit yogurt, fresh fruit like pineapple, grapes, melon, watermelon, strawberries, bags of baked chips, juice boxes and cereal bars to name a few.
I am not a fan of cold pizza or frozen chicken nuggets and thankfully, neither are the kids.
I have been accused of rearing children who are "spoilt" when it
comes to the contents of their lunch boxes. In my defence I say " Kids have taste buds too!" When they refuse to eat school lunches and I am not unhappy. It lets me know that they are eating healthy fresh food and I really believe it impacts their performance at school.
I have a stash of lunchtime favorites and every night the kids pick one for lunch the next day:
Chicken and cheese Quesadilla
Ham and Swiss Baguette sandwiches
Grilled tomato, basil and mozzarella paninis
Vegetable spring rolls
cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches
leftover pasta and marinara with Parmesan or ravioli
wrap with ham and salami, lettuce and cheese
leftover chicken, pork or beef shredded into tacos with corn and peppers
soups and noodles in winter

Appetizers make great lunches for kids. When you make them- freeze some and use them as you need. Quiche, Calzones, wantons, samosas and kebabs are always popular with my kids. Quesadillas are satisfying and versatile; can be made with vegetables or meat. Grilled chicken, corn, peppers or zucchini make great fillings. Here's how I make them

Recipe for Chicken Quesadilla- 1 large quesadilla makes 6-8 wedges
2 large flour tortillas
3/4 cup grated cheddar or other cheese
grilled protein and/or vegetables

Spray a large pan with vegetable oil and place a tortilla on it. Top evenly with half the cheese, place the the filling and top with the remaining cheese. Place the second tortilla over it and press down. Keep the heat on low and once the cheese starts to melt , flip the quesadilla over carefully and cook on the other side. When all the cheese is melted and the tortillas turn brown in spots, remove and cut into wedges.













2 comments:

  1. i agree,kids do like varieties for lunch,made at home.I love the suggestions you'v made for lunches.I would like to here more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pooja, If there's any specific idea or ingredient that you have in mind let me know. I can give you tips on how to prepare it.

    ReplyDelete