Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Celebrating Japan...

Last weekend a bunch of us went out to Sagami, a Japanese restaurant in Collingswood. Tucked away in a corner it is easy to miss, especially when it's pouring buckets out. We braved the rain but were a few minutes late and although the place was crowded we were met with smiles and cups of fragrant tea. There's something to be said about hospitality and how it makes the meal memorable. Our waitress was a concerned grandmother and a Drill Sargent rolled into one. She straightened our silverware and chopsticks frequently, taught me the correct angles to photograph the food( each plate has a face!) and suggested with hands on hips that I eat the last piece of sweet potato tempura that I had left on my plate. I obliged of course, not because I was terrified of her but because I understood the pride she took in her food and that waste is a shame.


The food was undeniably good and beautifully presented - the Japanese make their plates look like works of art and Sagami lives up to this reputation perfectly. It was a sensual experience punctuated only by a powerful wasabi kick every now and then. Gyoza, Tempura, Yakitori and Sushi came in vast quantities and was received and eaten enthusiastically. Our waitress answered our queries patiently and intelligently and took delight in our enjoyment but ducked shyly every time I tried to take her picture. In the end I got one- much to her chagrin! It is undoubtedly a place I intend to return to at every opportunity, not just for the food but the warm hospitality that takes me to a happier place.

No comments:

Post a Comment