Friday, January 27, 2012

Tear jerker

I'm hooked on the show" Heat Seekers" which features two chefs, Aaron Sanchez and Roger Mooking who are on a quest for hot food. They comb every city, going into restaurants and dives that serve the fieriest dishes. It's good reality TV when the chefs unintentionally cry, gasp, sweat, and blow their noses. Their fake bravado and steady repartee makes the show quite comical as they blink back tears and valiantly compete for the limelight. The loser is the butt of well meaning ridicule, but ridicule non the less. It makes for interesting entertainment but the down side is that the more I watch the hungrier I get.
Those of you that read my blogs must know that I am a heat seeker myself and drool at the mere whiff of hot food. What happens after each episopde is pretty predictable. Out come the chilies and the food processor and a flaming hot concoction is created.
This particular hot sauce happened late one night much to the horror of my family. It was an inspiring moment for me and I went for it full throttle. Hopefully you will appreciate it as much as I do.

Recipe for Hot Sauce:
10 Habanero peppers
5 finger hot red chili peppers
3 ancho chili peppers, re-hydrated
6 green chilies
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
6 cloves garlic
3 tbsp white vinegar
salt to tast
4 tbsp oil

1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Blend all ingredients in the blender and saute in the pan briefly till the oil separates.
3. Cool in the pan and fill into a sterilized jar. Eat by the spoonful or refrigerate.

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home if you can't take the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment