Sunday, September 23, 2012

Muesli Cookies- Something to muse about......

Oat meal cookies are always the healthiest cookies -so why not Muesli? While cleaning out my pantry I found an unopened packet of Muesli and knowing my kids, it was most likely that it would remain that way. The muesli was loaded with nuts, oatmeal, dried berries and raisins and I had that "Eureka" moment as soon as I laid eyes on it. Unfortunately it wasn't easy finding a good recipe and so I made one up. I started by toasting the muesli in the oven along with a handful of pecans which add great flavor  and crunch to these sticky cookies. The rest was easy as I glanced through an old oatmeal cookie recipe and  adapted it as I went along. This was a fruitful experiment ( pun intended ) and blog worthy. If you try this at home- let me know how it goes......



Recipe for toasted Pecan Muesli Cookies:


3/4 cup toasted pecans
3 cups toasted Muesli
2 sticks unsalted butter (1cup)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup AP flour

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy scraping the bowl from time to time.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each. Add in the vanilla.
4. Sift the dry ingredients together and mix in.combine well but do not over mix. Fold in the muesli and pecans last.
5. Using a large ice-cream scoop, scoop out the dough and set them at least an inch apart.
Flatten each ball with moistened fingers.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden in color.


No comments:

Post a Comment