Friday, October 12, 2012

Something's fishy!


I was in California last weekend; the skies were clear, the weather perfect and the beaches spectacular. I was in good company with my aunts Madhu and Meeta who plied me with food and love from the minute I set foot on their turf. On Sunday we found ourselves on Manhattan Beach where we proceeded to get thoroughly soaked. On the upside we managed to work up healthy appetites with our incessant chatter, laughter and running around, so before long we were munching on nachos and salsa at a local Mexican dive- El Sombrero. Predictably the decor consisted mostly of colorful sombreros and not much else. If it was great ambiance we were after, this was not the place, but the food was nothing to thumb your nose at.
Those fish tacos were as close as I've ever gotten to a Mexican fishing village. Simply executed with the fresh flavor of the fish topped with a Salsa Fresca and an amazing chili salsa made from scratch- those tacos hit the spot!
I was expecting a bottle of  Cholula (Mexican Hot Sauce) so when the waitress arrived with this bowl of eye-watering, freshly made chili sauce, I couldn't resist the urge to find the source of the heat- Fresno chili peppers. She even got me a few peppers and instructed me to dry them out and plant the seeds in my garden.

My recipe for simple fish tacos and Salsa Fresca;
Grilled white fish fillets
warm corn tortillas (use 2 for each taco)
diced tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper
salt to taste
lemon juice
small dollop of honey

Place the fish fillets in the tortillas.
Combine the salsa ingredients including the honey, combine well and top each taco. Serve immediately






No comments:

Post a Comment