Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 69 Jamaica

"Ole still, mi si wan big maskitta pan yu foot". If you are confused here's the translation: "Hold still, I see a big mosquito on your foot." There's something about Jamaican English (Patois) that makes me laugh every time. In fact I am fascinated by their culture, lifestyle and off course the food. Most of us have used a version of commercial bottled Jerk at sometime in our lives. I did too, until a close friend gave me a wonderful book and so began my romance with all things Jamaican.

Today's menu is Jerk Chicken Breasts with Rice and Peas. Jerk sauce is a wonderfully rich and spicy sauce made with yellow onion, thyme leaves, chopped scallions, garlic, soy sauce, cider vinegar, ground allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, sugar, salt, vegetable oil and a Habanero pepper blended to a fine paste. Chicken breasts were marinated in the Jerk and cooked in the oven for 275 degrees. The chicken was then removed and grilled over high heat basted with the leftover marinade repeatedly.

Even though this dish is called Rice and Peas it actually is made with long grain rice cooked with diced bacon, boiled kidney beans, garlic, coconut milk, sprigs of thyme, scallions and salt. Creamy and thyme scented with a bite from the Habanero - I believe it can be eaten all by itself.

Sadly I head off to Trinidad and Tobago...

2 comments:

  1. Wa ah gwan, Mon??!!!

    This looks sssooo good that mah mouth is waterin' and I can hear Bob Marley and the wailers' lilting music in the background.

    ReplyDelete