Monday, November 8, 2010

Passion for Pasta??

Pasta is without doubt a universal favorite - young or old, Italian or not everyone has a version of pasta close to their heart (or should I say stomach?) Despite the fact that it is treated as a rather commonplace food and notwithstanding the fact that it is readily available in some form even at the neighborhood drugstore, what baffles me is the sentiment expressed by famous chefs, personalities, artists and musicians alike for this apparently uninspiring food. Sophia Loren goes as far as to say “Everything you see, I owe to Spaghetti.” So what is it exactly about pasta that brings out the fervor?
I have always liked pasta but without much passion. For me it is the meal that can be thrown together in the absence of more exciting ingredients, conjured up between chores and yes, the kids love it. Bowtie Alfredo with asparagus, spaghetti Bolognese, Penne and sausage marinara, spinach ravioli or simply Mac and cheese are some of their favorite things – yes, even they can rhapsodize about the merits of pasta. So what am I missing?
Recently I decided to rekindle my romance with pasta by creating a dish that has all the charm and grace of a Verdi Opera. It is not something I would eat every day but it leaves me feeling content and happy and with a good taste in my mouth ( sic). Even now it does not evoke poetry but I am happy to rustle up a bowl of this shrimp pasta when I feel the need.

Recipe for Shrimp Pasta:

Spaghetti for 2
6 large shrimp
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp anchovy paste
2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes in oil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 handful torn basil leaves
a handful of black olives ( optional)
1 tbsp pasta seasoning
salt and freshly ground pepper
grated Parmesan

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt and cook the noodles till al dente( firm to the bite). Drain them and rinse in cold water. Set aside in a large bowl and pour over with the 1/2 cup olive oil.
In a food processor, combine and puree the garlic, sun dried tomatoes and the anchovies. Combine this mixture into the pasta along with the dry and fresh herbs, crushed pepper, seasoning and olives. Toss well.
Heat a small pan and add in the tbsp of olive oil. Saute the shrimp briefly and add into the pasta.
Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and serve

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a pasta dish I could really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you love shrimp and you know where I live!

    ReplyDelete