Sunday, November 21, 2010

Veggie -tales

Vegetables are the under dog in the culinary world; always playing second fiddle to the meat or fish on our plates unless one is a vegetarian or vegan. Dieticians may exhort us to eat more vegetables every day but the dilemma lies in creating dishes that tickle the taste buds and make us want to eat them like we should. Personally they appeal to me when they are farm fresh and dewy.
The photograph above was taken on a trip to Shillong in North East India. At an altitude of over 4000 feet, this town is nestled among rolling hills that are often engulfed in mist. It is home to some of the freshest organic produce I've laid eyes on. Locals make their living by sitting alongside narrow winding roads and selling their produce to passers by at a pittance. Not only did I get my money's worth but those veggies cooked fast and had a natural sweetness unlike anything from a supermarket here.
Most of us develop the tendency to eat the same vegetables over and over cooked many different ways. Broccoli, carrots, corn, peas and potatoes have become household staples but when was the last time we ate a beet or a turnip?In our need for convenience and speed we often compromise on the taste and quality of our meals. I find myself often turning to frozen spinach instead of having to deal with bags of gritty fresh spinach... It's only when I visit my family in India that I get my fill of fresh banana blossom, fiddle heads, plantains, taro root and green jack fruit, to name a few.
Every now and then I buy watercress for a salad or mustard greens for a stir fry. I am a fan of bean sprouts, alfalfa and pea shoots. Throwing some into a wrap or tossing it into a salad has great health benefits. Chayote squash and Jicama cut into sticks make crunchy stir fries. Okra sliced thinly and simply sauteed with a sliced onion and a pinch of turmeric can create a change of pace from the mundane.













Eat Your Colors- Pick different colored veggies and work them to suit your needs. Most vegetables are versatile and when cooked well can bring out the best in your meal and keep you looking your best. The trick is to pick them fresh and keep them crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment