Monday, January 24, 2011

A good Curry always hurts twice!!

The cold always makes me crave hot and spicy food and a Thai curry with a high Scoville score breaks out the sweat just the way I like it! A hot bowl of Red Thai Curry over Jasmine Rice is easily a personal favorite - throw fresh shrimp into the equation and there's no contest.
I tend to add random vegetables into a pot depending on my mood or on the contents of my fridge. An authentic Red Thai curry usually has slivers of Bamboo shoot, fresh lemon grass, Thai basil, birds eye chili peppers, miniature Thai eggplants , mushrooms and sliced red peppers, and much as I love it, my own versions can contain anything from red/ yellow/ green peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, peas and even baby pakchoy. I firmly believe that the flavor of the curry combined with the silky texture of the coconut milk create a base that can carry whatever you throw at it.
(Foot Note:) I would like to add that although I am disposed to cooking all curries from scratch, it is not always feasible ( hard to find ingredients and time constraints). In times like these I turn to my reliable tub of Maesri Curry paste. It's fool-proof and tastes like the real thing.

My easy recipe for Red Curry-
2-3 tbsp red curry paste ( the more you add the hotter it gets)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can coconut milk ( Chaokoh is my favorite brand)
vegetables cut into bite sized pieces
Shrimp de-veined and rinsed
fresh Thai basil
1. Heat the oil in a wok and stir fry the curry paste till fragrant. Add in the shrimp and cook briefly.
2. Add in the coconut milk a little at a time and simmer on low till the oil separates and floats to the surface. Immediately add in the vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes.
3. Garnish with fresh basil and serve over hot fragrant Jasmine rice or brown rice.





No comments:

Post a Comment