Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate for Breakfast!?

Weekend breakfasts are big in our household. The range of possibilities wide and diverse. The kids usually get to pick what they want and so last weekend they decided on chocolate chip pancakes. I, (in an attempt to add something healthy to each meal) had thought of making them blueberry pancakes, so we called a truce and did both. I relented partly because I secretly wanted chocolate too and well...chocolate is supposed to be good for you!
I'm a sucker for freezing berries when in season, so I pulled out my stash of blueberries and went to work. This time of year berries are ugly, tasteless and and ridiculously pricey no matter where one goes, so I can't help but feel a little smug when I pour out a cupful of luscious, sweet, berries and toss some into each pancake along with some semi sweet chocolate chips. The pancakes are rarely a perfect circle but nobody cares... The spongy texture of the pancakes combined with gooey chocolate , soft ripe berries and sticky maple syrup makes the room go silent, if only briefly. Forks and knives are ignored and scraps are used to mop up the juices. I am rewarded with sticky kisses and those magic words" Mom you're the best!".

Recipe for Blueberry Chocolate chip Pancakes:
2 cups All purpose Flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk 4 eggs
1/2 stick butter melted
chocolate chips
blueberries
1. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Combine all the wet ingredients in a food processor.
3. Pour the liquids into the bowl and stir steadily till the mixture is moist. Refrigerate until cook time.
4. Heat a skillet/ frying pan and spray with PAM or brush with butter. Pour in ladles full of batter with enough room for the pancakes to spread as they cook. When one side gets bubbly and the edges are sealed, throw in some berries and chocolate chips and flip over. Serve hot with warm maple syrup and a pat of butter or whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. Check out my wife's Chocolate For Breakfast cookbook. It has won all sorts of awards internationally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous. I would love to check it out- I collect cookbooks ! Please let me know your wife's name so I don't buy the wrong book.

    ReplyDelete