Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Appetizing...

Most countries in South East Asia have their own version of a spring roll and each one is distinctly different from the next. The fillings, wrappers, size and in fact the very process can be varied. I have tried and tested a few and continue to do so especially when there is a particular craving for something crunchy, spicy and a tad greasy- and I'm sure we all have those days.
Anyway, I find myself with a slab of pork and no recipe. A quick perusal of the freezer and I have a package of spring roll wrappers in hand and so the problem is solved.
The pork is cut into chunks and ground in the food processor. A handful of scallions is rinsed and chopped finely, a couple cloves of garlic mashed with a cleaver and some bok choy shredded. The show is on the road. I heat a couple tablespoons of peanut oil in the wok, saute the garlic and the greens and throw in the pork. Two Thai chilies minced, a splash of soy sauce and some shredded ginger give it instant fragrance and flavor. I finish with a little rice wine, salt and fresh cilantro.
I let the mixture cool and fill in the wrappers by placing a fairly large heap of it in the centre of the wrapper, diagonally. I roll it up, tucking in the two corners and seal the last corner with a dab of water.
The trick to a crunchy spring roll is to refrigerate the rolls and fry them in hot oil just before serving. I like to lay mine on kitchen paper to blot the extra grease. Then all you need is some hot sauce to make those babies disappear. A hot bowl of soup and this could become a meal. For me the fun begins when I get to play with the ingredients- mint instead of cilantro, peanuts for added crunch, bean sprouts or maybe rice noodles and anything from tofu to seafood....

No comments:

Post a Comment