Saturday, November 19, 2011

Burrito Express

Mexican food tastes best this time of year, and mostly the Burrito- a fat cheesy burrito takes the edge off those gnawing hunger pangs that take you by surprise once the temps fall. A versatile and substantial meal in a wrap; it can be custom-made for every member of the family. I slather mine with hot salsa but go easy on the sour cream, my youngest skips the guacamole and each one picks their choice of chicken or steak. The sides can be altered to keep it fresh and interesting. Sometimes I cook the beans with chipotle peppers and garlic but if I'm rushed I simply use a can of organic refried beans. Very often I use fresh corn off the cob sauteed in a nob of butter and at other times, sauteed peppers and onions. There is always plenty of fresh salsa, lettuce and sour cream but I use different types of tortillas and that makes a world of difference. Last but not least I try to use Queso Fresco or fresh Mexican Cheese. It has a mild and crumbly texture which makes the burrito rich and creamy. In it's absence I make a cheese sauce with a great deal of grated Manchego or Cotija and sometimes I sneak in some extra hot Pepper Jack when no one's looking.

Recipe for Chicken/Steak Burritos:
4 Extra large tortillas
3/4 cup of cheese sauce or Queso Fresco
1 cup cooked chicken breast or steak cut into bite sized pieces *
Shredded lettuce
Salsa
Corn, cooked or refried beans, peppers and onions, sauteed mushrooms (Take your pick)
Rice cooked in broth and seasoned with garlic and onion powder ( I use leftover cooked rice this way)
diced Avocado or Guacamole
diced Jalapenos

* Marinate the meat in lime juice, olive oil, crushed garlic, chili powder / Ancho chili powder , ground cumin, freshly ground pepper and salt. Throw on a grill on under the broiler to cook and dice.
1. Warm the tortilla slightly to make it more pliable. Place the filling in the center and wrap starting at the bottom and keeping it tight. Cut into half at an angle and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment