Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Shout about Sprouts!


I like to take my kids food shopping so that they can pick out what they like and avoid any fuss or drama at the dinner table. Recently I walked into Trader Joe's ( a specialty food store and my personal favorite) and saw these bright green Brussel Sprouts still on the stalk, which is unusual not to mention appetizing. I love greens and although I can't say that I love Brussel sprouts in particular, I will eat them that fresh...
Well, as soon as I laid eyes on them, all hell broke loose with the boys - they were running around the store brandishing it like a spear with shouts of "we're not eating this! No way!" It took considerable threats and finally bribes, to get them to pipe down and put the sprouts down in the cart. As soon as I got home, I put them away for a day or two until they had forgotten about it.
Then I roasted them in the oven just before dinner and served them up with a Brisket. It was eaten without protest and enjoyed.
Brussel Sprouts belong to the cabbage family and even look like miniature cabbages. They release the same sulphurous odor when overcooked which gives them their bad reputation, but are super foods, packed with vitamins and cancer fighting properties. So keep it simple and cook them right.
Recipe for Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts:
Brussel sprouts sliced in half
minced garlic
generous drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper
Dill

1. Toss the sprouts in the ingredients listed above and stick in a hot oven preheated to 375 F . Serve immediately .





No comments:

Post a Comment