Sunday, December 4, 2011

Guilty pleasures

I can skip dinner if I get my hands on one of these- A Hot Choc fudge is hands down my favorite dessert and in my opinion, worth every calorie. I had my first really good fudge sundae back in the early 90's at Nirula's in Delhi. Back in the day they made the best, with the gooiest of chocolate sauces and it was possibly one of the best things to binge on when your date turned out to be a crashing bore! I have unfortunately turned my kids into very discriminating HCF junkies who can tell right away if I cheat and dilute the sauce or scrimp on the nuts. I make my sundaes with alternating layers of Vanilla Ice cream, gooey chocolate sauce, caramel sauce
(optional) and caramel sesame cashews. It is the one guilty pleasure I imbibe in, knowing that I have to pay the price with a good long run. Note of Caution: it is highly addictive , so don't blame me if you suddenly pack on the pounds...

Recipe for Hot Chocolate Fudge Sundae:
scoops of good quality Vanilla Ice cream
chocolate sauce
caramel sauce
sesame caramel cashews

1. To make the Chocolate Sauce : Scald 1 cup cream in a sauce pan and add in a cup of bitter sweet chocolate. Stir till the chocolate is melted and add in a tablespoon of corn syrup. If you want a darker sauce, add in some cocoa powder. The sauce should be reasonably thick.
2. To make the caramel sauce, combine 1 cup sugar with 2 T water and simmer till it turns golden brown . Do not stir it but swirl the pan gently from time to time.
3. Take 1 cup of Cashews and 2 t sesame seeds and add them to half the caramel. Grease a sheet pan and spread it out. It should harden as it cools. Break it up into smaller pieces to use as a crunchy topping.
4. Serve scoops of icecream alternating with the sauces ( chocolate sauce should be hot) and top with the cashew brittle. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment