Sunday, December 25, 2011

Oh bring us the figgy pudding...

Every time I hear those words, it's music to my ears. That sticky, fruity, boozy, moist pudding is my favorite part of the Christmas dinner. I don't necessarily use figs, but there's usually enough fruit in there to make up for it. I believe it keeps well and it should considering the copious amount of alcohol that goes into it! Stored the proper way, it should be fine for a few months- wrapped in parchment paper and kept in a cool dry place. I can't say that mine lasts very long (I tend to sneak it a lot). A few years ago I found the BBC Good Food magazine's Christmas pudding recipe and it works like a charm. My pudding is a little lighter in color only because I used lager instead of dark ale. I also used margarine instead of suet, which is not readily available. The list of ingredients seems long and scary but if you are in a hurry just use the packaged fruit for a Christmas cake along with the raisins, currants and almonds. It is a relatively easy recipe - the most tricky part being the steaming of the puddings. They are easily scorched, so keep the water in the pot replenished and on a simmer.

Recipe for Christmas Pudding:
4 oz almonds blanched and chopped
4 oz AP flour
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
6 oz suet ( I use margarine)
4 oz dark brown sugar
4 oz fresh breadcrumbs
4oz glace cherries
2 oz candied peel
4oz dried apricots or figs
8oz cooking apples diced
8 oz currants
10 oz raisins
12 oz sultanas
grated rind of a lemon and an orange
3 eggs beaten
8 fl oz brown ale
2 tbsp brandy or rum

1. Sift the flour and spices into a bowl. Beat in the margarine, sugar and breadcrumbs.
2. Combine the fruit and nuts, mix well and add it in. Add in the eggs, brandy/rum and ale.
3. Take two pudding basins (2 pints each) and grease well. Place a parchment paper in each and make pleats as needed so that it fits snugly. Pour in the pudding and cover tightly with the parchment. Tie it you feel it is necessary so that it stays snug.
4. Place each in a larger pot with a tight lid, half filled with boiling water which you turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 3 hours. This can be done in an oven too ( in my opinion) and may be a better option to keep it from burning. Keep an eye on the water in the pots - they run out suddenly and then the pudding is scorched.
Microwave with a lid if you like it warm with a touch of custard or whipped cream. Merry Christmas!








No comments:

Post a Comment