Saturday, June 16, 2012

Got Wasabi?



I learnt to make sushi way back in culinary school but like I said to my friend Midori - I was taught by an American. It wasn't authentic enough. So she obliged by inviting me to a sushi rolling lunch. She had her mise en place ready to go. There was still warm cooked rice, thin omelets, cucumber spears, imitation crab meat, cooked shrimp, sliced avocado and iceberg lettuce. She gave me some inside information, not something I am likely to get from an American chef instructor, but small tips and tricks that give it an edge. For instance, I was quite amused when she handed me a Japanese paper fan and asked me to fan the rice while she mixed it with the seasoning. She explained to me, "It is important for the rice to be warm when you mix in the seasoning but cool when you make the sushi." She even sent me home with a bag of the seasoning and a sushi mat! This wasn't the most elaborate sushi, but my favorite- California Roll. Midori did an excellent job of teaching me how to roll the sushi without it being all over the table and floor. Under her supervision it actually stayed where it was supposed to. The best part was that it tasted great too.

Midori's California Roll:

8-10 sheets of Nori
2 cups rice
1/2 packet Sushi Flavoring ( powdered or liquid)
2 eggs made into omelets
iceberg lettuce leaves
cucumber spears
imitation crab meat
cooked shrimp
avocado slices
Mayonnaise ( optional)
1. Combine the rice and seasoning while the rice is hot/warm, and cool rapidly before using.
2. Place nori on the mat and spread with a thin layer of rice.( You can use plastic wrap on the mat if you intend to keep it in the fridge for a while)
3. Place your pick of ingredients in the center in a line. Fold away from you and press the end down as close as possible over the filling and roll and press again to seal the ends. Give it a squeeze with bothe hands to tighten the roll. A few drops of Japanese Mayo add a creamy flavor to the Sushi rolls.
4. Cut the roll into bite sized portions using a sharp knife that is wiped with a damp towel between each cut. Bring on the wasabi and soy!


No comments:

Post a Comment