Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wonton Whisperer

Wantons have long been a favorite food for me. Call them potstickers, Momos, Gyoza, Dimsum or whatever inspires you. Although there is a distinct difference between each, they are similar in more ways than one. Pillows of spongy flavorful meat encased in a dough exterior, these make for great finger food for all ages and events. I make these several times a year and freeze them to be used as needed. One becomes adept at the art of wanton making, purely through practise. At first it appears to be hard work but by the third time a deftness sets in and the speed improves perceptibly.
The one thing that bothered me was that I often found the meat to be less than moist. That is, until my friend Jen Golay let me in on a secret ingredient. Believe it or not it's butter! The results were markedly improved. The fat from the butter keeps the meat juicy and melt in the mouth.
On my latest attempt, the meat outlasted the wrappers and I was forced to make do with spring roll wrappers. I cut the large wrappers into quarters and to my delight made the crunchiest wantons of all time. My kids loved it!

Recipe for Pork Wontons:
2 cups ground pork tenderloin
1 large red onion minced
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tbsp chicken broth
1/4 stick of butter (4 tsp)
salt to taste
fresh cilantro minced

wanton wrappers- 1 pack

1. Combine the ingredients, mix well and chill for a few hours allowing the meat to marinate in the juices.
2. Spray steamer with Pam and form the wantons by placing a teaspoon of the filling in the center and folding the two halves together. Seal by dampening the edges and pinching them together.
3. Steam for 15 minutes and serve or pan fry to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment