Sunday, June 24, 2012

Stir Crazy

On a recent visit to my eye doctor, I was told in no uncertain terms that I needed to up my leafy green intake drastically. I found myself turning to spinach most often but got easily bored - spinach can be tasteless and mundane if eaten on a frequent basis. My kids despise kale and Collard greens and so the best course of action was to visit the local Korean Market. It's mind boggling spread of greens really did boggle my mind and I would willingly have bought masses of it. Sadly,I picked only a few, since they tend wilt and lose their food value quite quickly in the fridge. Choy Sum was my first choice. These tender Chinese baby greens with darker outer leaves make for the best stir fries. I threw in a box of Shitake mushrooms and some chili black bean paste with customary foresight. I could already taste it in my head. in a matter of minutes I was on my way to bliss and 20/20 vision.

Recipe for stir fried Choy Sum:
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4-6 heads of Choy sum, sliced vertically and rinsed under running water
1 cup of shitake mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic sliced fine
1 tablespoon chili black bean sauce

1. Heat the oil in a wok over high heat and saute the garlic, followed rapidly by the Choy Sum, shitake mushroom and bean paste.
2. Stir rapidly over high heat and serve immediately with rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment