Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 59 Bolivia

Bolivia landlocked between Chile, Peru and Brazil is considered the poorest country in South America. It also has the most, remote, isolated and rugged terrain that boasts the worlds hottest, coldest, steamiest or windiest spots on this planet not to mention its swamps and marshlands. No, it does not grab my fancy but I could not pass on it. A recipe for Pastel de Choclo con Pollo Boliviano AKA Bolivian style Corn Torte with Chicken filling seemed like something my boys would devour in minutes.

The Torte, to put it simply, is made up of two layers of Huminta (corn batter) with a layer of chicken sandwiched between them. The Huminta was made by processing thawed frozen corn kernels and adding in corn meal, baking powder,sugar, salt, eggs and egg whites, melted butter and grated swiss cheese. It is rich ( can be eaten by the spoonful once cooked- I believe) and creamy uncooked. Cooked chicken breasts were shredded and set aside along with the broth they were simmered in. Onions were sliced thinly and sauteed briefly. Peeled and diced tomatoes were thrown in as well as oregano,bay leaf, salt, chili paste (I made mine with rehydrated Ancho chilies)white wine and the broth. Cooked till all the juices are absorbed, the pie was finally assembled.

In a well buttered dish the Huminta and chicken were layered and baked for about 60 minutes at 350 degrees. It took me a while to wrap my head around this recipe, having never cooked nor tasted a Bolivian Torte before. To make matters worse, my recipe did not come with a picture so I had to taste it in my head when I picked it- but it was everything I imagined and more.


Brazil's coming up ....

2 comments:

  1. Amazing dish. All good things in one dish. I want to enjoy this dish again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about we cook it together once the eighty days are done?

    ReplyDelete