Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 67 Cuba

Cuban fare is relatively well know and has risen in popularity lately owing to a surge of restaurants catering to diverse ethnic groups. On recommendation I stopped off at a few in New York and Philadelphia in my attempt to acquire a taste for it and failed or perhaps I ordered the wrong things. Either way, I was determined to cook myself a meal and decide once in for all. The black beans and rice have been done and a Ropa Vieja ( shredded Beef ) did not hold much appeal to me so I passed on their national dish and went with a Boliche instead which displays the classic Cuban characteristic I'm told, of being well seasoned but not spicy.



A Boliche is a Cuban Pot roast; a beef eye round roast rubbed with spices, stuffed with ham and slow roasted to keep it moist and tender. A paste was made with garlic, salt, pepper and oregano and rubbed onto the roast. Seville oranges were juiced and the juice poured over the marinated meat and left overnight. The next day I made a horizontal cut in the roast and stuffed it with cubed ham. The meat was removed from the liquid and the marinade reserved. It was seared briefly in hot smoking oil in a heavy casserole and coarsely chopped onion, peppers, tomato puree, sherry and reserved marinade were added and brought to a boil. It was roasted for about 2 hours, placed on a cutting board, sliced and served with white rice, poured over with the juices. Tender and juicy, the ham filling made a less expensive cut of meat so much more exciting. Even though this roast will never be a favorite, it was an eye opener - Cuban food is not half bad...




Guatemala's up next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment