Friday, December 31, 2010

Old favorites from Ma's kitchen

Almost everybody claims that their mothers are great cooks. I know with certainty that my own mother is truly a natural and I can claim( with false modesty) that I have inherited her taste buds and instincts in the kitchen.Every time I return to India for a visit I am met with a long list of dishes that my brother, niece and nephew want me to cook for them during my stay and I am happy to oblige. I rarely eat what I cook and forage for leftovers ( of Ma’ s cooking) if something is not readily available. The truth is I miss my mother’s cooking and present her with my own list of things to eat. She, of course is more than happy to feed me, so we have a great arrangement and everybody ends up happy.

A long time favorite of mine is her Fish in Mustard Sauce ( Patot Dia Mas) wrapped in banana leaves and oven roasted. Incredibly simple and rustic, it is a comfort food for our family and try as I might- have been unsuccessful in creating the same flavors with aluminum foil (in the absence of banana leaves).This dish is indigenous to my native state of Assam in the North East of India and was traditionally slow roasted over hot embers.

Ma's recipe for Fish in Mustard sauce:
4 pieces Carp
4 tsp yellow mustard seeds made into a paste
2 green chilies
salt to taste
handful of cilantro leaves chopped
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 large banana leaf

1. Place the banana leaf flat and slice off the central vein of the banana leaf to form a string and set aside. Roast the leaf over a low flame till it is flexible. ( it will shrink a little)
2. Rub the fish with the rest of the ingredients and place in the center of the leaf. Tie it with the twine and bake in a hot oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes approximately.
3. Serve hot with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment