Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sinfully decadent and British....

I have never been a fan of English food - the oddly named Toad in a Hole gives me the creeps, Bubble and Squeak brings to mind pesky rodents, and as for Spotted Dick - let's not go there...... but English Teas are the ultimate act of contrition on their part as far as I'm concerned. The English have captured the essence of drinking the finest teas from India and combined it perfectly with an array of tasty morsels and tidbits that are capable of sending me on a binge at the mention of an English Tea.
There's something wonderful about the way the thin fragile finger sandwich appeal to the girl in me. It makes me want to pick up my cup with the pinkie pointing out! The little tea cakes and the scones laden with Devon shire clotted cream and strawberry jam- I'd eat that any day over a sundae! The Brits have it right when it comes to the art of baking sponge rolls, shortbread and tea cakes. I have not been to England in recent years and felt compelled to bake up several batches of scones to quench the yearning to sink my teeth into a hot scone with a bit of crunch on the outside yet moist and fragrant on the inside.
My recipe for Scones:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 cup cold butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dried fruit( raisins/ cranberries/ cherries )
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp cream
Start by combining the flour, baking powder and the sugar. Cut the butter into little cubes and add it in with a fork or pastry cutter. Mix in the cream, almonds and fruit and bring the dough together briefly until just combined. Do not knead. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap and chill.
This dough can be kept overnight and baked fresh the next day.
Brush with the remaining tbsp of cream and sprinkle with the sugar before baking in a oven preheated to 350°F for about 20 -25 minutes or until the scones turn a light golden color. Slather with butter and jam and enjoy!











2 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks delicious! Hey did I see you in Haddonfield last weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you did! Why didn't you say hello?

    ReplyDelete