Thursday, December 23, 2010

Taste of Home cooking in Chennai- Chicken Biryani

Much as I enjoy cooking, it is a luxury when someone else cooks me a meal, especially if that somebody has a flair for it. Bonnie, my cousin and hostess in Chennai has a family who love to eat. Jai Ram their cook is a godsend- catering to all of us; cooking up all their favorites with great enthusiasm for me to taste. He made several delicious meals but his Chicken Biryani is top notch. Moist and aromatic layers of rice and chicken can be the perfect antidote to a long hot day(Chennai was in the 90’s even in December).After I tasted the Biryani, it was only expected that I would extort the recipe out of Jai Ram. I explained my blog as best as I could and even took pictures for which he posed coyly.

Jai Ram's Recipe for Chicken Biryani:

2 ½ lbs chicken cut into sections

3-4 tbsp mustard oil

2 large onions sliced thinly

2 tomatoes diced

1 tbsp ginger paste 1 tbsp garlic paste

1 ½ tsp coriander powder

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp garam masala powder

Salt to taste

Mint leaves

3 cups rice

Heat the oil and sauté the onion until golden brown and add in the ginger and garlic pastes.

Add in the tomato, spice powders and the salt and continue frying till the oil separates.

Add in the chicken and sauté it in the spices till tender, adding a little water if the mixture gets too dry.

Mix in the rice and fry it till all the moisture evaporates. Add in 6 cups of water and the mint and simmer on low till the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.

Foot note: I met Jill on the flight into Brusells. Jill and I swapped life stories, recipes and an 8 hour flight went by very quickly. She was intrigued by my blog and asked me to post a recipe for her favorite dish- Chicken Biryani - so here it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment