Monday, December 6, 2010

I can't believe it's custard!

The French have the ability to create the most amazing things one can find on a plate. Their Terrines, Fois gras and Pates are incredible without a doubt, but it is their desserts that appeal to me greatly. French Pastry chefs are unbelievable at creating the perfect texture, sweetness and combination of flavors that make the world go "Ooh la la". A well made Crème Brulee is old fashioned and under stated but it tops my list of uncomplicated and simply delightful desserts.


A Crème Brulee is nothing but good old custard but there's something dramatic about whipping out a torch and caramelizing it to a crunch. It's the ultimate move if you are attempting to create an impression or even if you are indulging and making one just for yourself. The creamy custard topped with the crunchy caramelized sugar is likely to appeal to all age groups and is a definite crowd pleaser - all you need is the blowtorch! ( Available at cookware stores )

My recipe for Crème Brulee :

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups heavy cream or half and half
1 tsp vanilla extract
Raw or Cane sugar

Preheat the oven to 300°F
Heat the cream or half and half till hot ( do not boil)
In an electric mixer whip together the eggs and 1/4 cup of sugar until combined.
With the mixer on low, add the cream to the eggs along with the vanilla.
Pour into ramekins and place in an oven tray filled halfway up with boiling water.
Bake for 35- 40 minutes until the custard is firm . Refrigerate until serving time.
To serve- sprinkle the top of each ramekin with raw or cane sugar and shake it to spread the sugar over the surface evenly.
Torch the sugar gently until it hardens and serve.

On this happy note I am on my way... I am off to India for about a month. There'll be lots of stories, pictures and recipes from my experiences -so keep checking in and I will do my best to keep you entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment