Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 16 Malaysia



A number of heritages contribute to the Malay culture and this is reflected in their cuisine, making it a favorite in my household. It did not take long for my family to get hooked on Roti Canai a street food, which is layered flat bread eaten torn into strips and dipped in a bowl of soupy chicken curry. In Malaysia this can be breakfast lunch or dinner - I ask can this be breakfast, lunch AND dinner?


The curried chicken is comfort food for my boys, with its flavorful soup-like gravy. It is the one day that I can let it run down their chins without complaint. Simmered over low heat the bite sized chicken pieces dissolve in the flavors of shallots, ginger, garlic, coconut milk, Kari leaves and a spice paste consisting of cumin, coriander, fenugreek, chili, turmeric and nutmeg. A healthy dose of chicken broth keeps it soupy.


The flat bread is made from a egg and milk dough. It is almost like brioche dough, but the process of rolling it out, folding over and rolling it out repeatedly gives it its characteristic layers.


Moving on to the Philippines.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... lucky me.. cannot say enough how much I enjoyed the roti canai. And also got a taste of the Aloo Achar and Kwanti!! Really super delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's always fun to share this great experience with my close friends.

    ReplyDelete