Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 17 Philipines


Philipino cooking is uncharted territory for me. This was my first attempt at a Chicken Adobo. A short list of ingredients made me more than a little skeptical and reading through the recipe left me cold… a liberal quantity of vinegar, soy sauce, and water is boiled with garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns. The chicken is simmered in this mixture till cooked through and served over rice. At this stage, the pan juices are strained and poured over the chicken. At best it is bland and unmemorable, but the upside is that it is quick and easy .


The Shrimp and Shitake Lumpia saved the day. Lumpia wrappers from the local Asian store were filled with a combination of sautéed shrimp, shitake mushrooms, shredded carrot, bean sprouts, Napa cabbage and Bok Choy. Mint, garlic, cilantro, hot chili paste and lemongrass infused the crisp fried lumpia with an abundance of flavor and an orange chili sauce on the side kicked it up a few notches.

With lips buzzing from the birds eye chili peppers I make my way to Russia….







No comments:

Post a Comment