Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 7 Indonesia



Indonesia blew us away. My first attempt at the Beef Rendang was pretty damn good. The vegetables weren't too bad either.The pumpkin, green beans and mushrooms sauteed in a spice paste were a mixture of heat and sweetness, balancing out the full bodied taste of the Rendang which was cubed topside cooked in a shallot, garlic, ginger paste. The meat is then simmered in Coconut milk with lemon grass and galangal till tender and then stir- fried till dark brown- this last step, I'm told, is the essence of a good Rendang. I pushed it as far as possible without scorching it and it worked !


I'm making my way to Iran as we speak, to a delightful Chelow and Kebab Koobideh.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Rendang!!! Best I have ever had. The lemongrass gave such a nice aroma and fresh taste. The flavor of the combined spices and coconut milk were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete