Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 19 Singapore

It was mind boggling trying to pick the menu- there are way too many favorites. I finally settled on a Nonya Fried Rice and Ayam Panggang which translates to Spicy Barbecued Chicken. The fried rice is simple and has an assortment of eggs, shrimp, chicken and veggies. I used leftover rice- it’s the best kind for fried rice. Being less sticky, the texture of the finished product is definitely better. Garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, salt and pepper add a depth of flavor to this simple yet delicious fried rice.


For the barbecued chicken I used a whole bird quartered and cut into smaller pieces. It sat in a marinade of crushed garlic, ginger, lime juice and salt for several hours. It was then grilled and rubbed with a chili paste. This fiery paste is made up of birds eye chili peppers, tomato, palm sugar, salt, garlic and lime juice. This paste is stir-fried and used like a barbecue sauce. The chicken was cooked on the grill once more for a couple of minutes on each side. The result is a chicken, crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. This I'm sure will become a mainstay in our household.
Next port of call- Sri Lanka......

2 comments:

  1. mmm this looks lovely!! I've just started a food blog too and love reading other people's!!
    What inspired you to travel round the world (in your kitchen!) in 80 days?!
    Becca xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca. Good to have you on board. I just looked at your blog- I am definitely going to do the bread recipes once the 80 days are done. Your bread pictures look amazing. To answer your question - I guess it was a number of reasons- to increase my knowledge of food/ to be able to write about it- I love to write and to give my kids a taste of different things since we travel quite a bit.Keep cooking and reading!!!

    ReplyDelete