Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 26 Australia



Bunya nuts, Quandongs, yabbies, witchety grubs, kakadu plums, sanger and schooner may sound like gibberish to many of us, but these were words jumping out at me in my search for "bush tucker" (a common Aussie colloquialism for food). I preferred somewhat less alien words like Damper, Lamingtons, Anzac biscuit, amber fluid and mostly Bacon and Egg pie. This last one sounded like something one would eat out in the bush,but it was only when I started to cook did I realise that it is an euphemism for quiche. I guess "real men don't eat quiche " has a part to play in the story behind this. It was nevertheless very satisfying- kids licked their plates clean!


Dessert was Anzac biscuits, which date back I believe to the first world war when wives and mothers sent their men off to the trenches with these oat and coconut cookies. With good reason,I believe; these simple cookies are moist on the inside and have a crispness on the outside and without the cloying scent of eggs or vanilla there is butter in each bite.




New Zealand is coming up tomorrow.....







No comments:

Post a Comment