Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 20 Sri Lanka

I was a bit worried about Sri lanka, a tiny little teardrop in the middle of a vast ocean. Would it really have a cuisine all its own? I was in for a surprise... The hoppers were unlike anything I have made before and the shrimp curry took me far away - to a picnic on a beach. It is nothing in comparison to a Malay or Indian curry which is heavy on the shallots and spices, but made quickly by dry roasting fresh shrimp in chili powder, lemongrass, ginger and garlic. A squeeze of lime and a handful of Kari leaves ( indigenous to South East Asia) infuse it with flavor. Lastly, it is simmered in coconut milk, which gives it body and adds sweetness to balance out the heat.















Appam or Hoppers are pancakes made from a fermented rice flour and coconut batter.Typically they are shaped like bowls and served with a curry of chicken or shrimp. I have never tasted one, let alone attempted to make one, so I feel fairly victorious with the outcome...it doesn't look half bad! Tastes good too.

It's a long haul to Syria. See you there....

2 comments:

  1. hey this is amazing stuff...wow! wish I was there to taste all that! am going to get down to trying some of these soon... great going spice girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Let me know if you need specific recipes.

    ReplyDelete