Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 40 Poland

Polish Pierogi is the dish of the day. Not only was this my first attempt at making them, but the challenge was to make them exceptional. Both kids disparaged this velvety bite of cheese and potato, after trying a frozen version at the school cafeteria, which were, according to them in varying shades of green and grey. My job was to convince them that there is great error in their judgement, but the only way to truly prove it, was to bring on the hot pierogies...








The dough was prepared using a simple fresh egg noodle recipe. For the second time this week I regretted not owning a pasta machine. Instead I had to use elbow grease to roll them out as thinly as directed- 1/16th of an inch to be precise. The filling was made with boiled potatoes mixed with a few tablespoons of butter, extra sharp cheddar, salt and pepper. Sealed shut and cooked in batches in salted boiling water, the pierogies waited till dinner time.
Tossed briefly in hot butter with diced onions just before serving, were they good? The kids looked a little sheepish when they asked for seconds......

It's hard to believe that I'm already halfway around the world!

Heading out to Portugal next.....









3 comments:

  1. I am so glad the kids loved them. Pierogis are one of my favorites. They look fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jess was taught how to make peirogies from her grandmother, but forgot. if you could teach her (remind her how), it would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely- I will make it a point

    ReplyDelete