Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 23 Thailand

Today's destination is the exotic kingdom of Siam, famous for its sun drenched beaches, its boxing, its silk and even its transvestites but I believe that it is its legendary cuisine that has put Thailand on the map. Thai cooking has five fundamental flavors: hot, sour, sweet, salty and bitter, a combination created to titillate the taste buds in every sense of the term. I picked Spicy stir fried pork and the Pineapple fried rice that I had learnt from a Thai chef in Bangkok last summer. It has onions, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, cashew nuts and of course Pineapple. Flavored with curry powder, it tastes unlike any other fried rice. Any protein can be used but in my case I kept it simple.
Check Spelling
The Pork stir fry was made with slivers of pork loin cooked in (from scratch) red curry paste along with green pepper corns, Kaffir lime leaves, red spur chilies, palm sugar, salt and fish sauce. Sautéing in coconut cream turns it golden and additional coconut milk is subsequently added to bring it to the right consistency. The pork turns flavorful and tender which makes for a perfect partnership with the rice.

I'm on my flying carpet. Next stop: The United Arab Emirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment